Our Personal Story
As you may already know, our founder Scott was diagnosed with stage II testicular cancer in mid-2015, barely a year after starting Portland Razor Co. It goes without saying that cancer is serious business, but Scott’s prognosis was good and he was expected to make a full recovery. And, well, he is! Last month marked his second year cancer-free, he competed in a 24-hour mountain bike race a few weeks ago, and he is able to play Taiko regularly… Let’s just say we’re damn grateful for life to be pretty much back to normal!
Reflecting on Scott’s experience, his positive outcome was undoubtedly influenced by the fantastic organizations that support research and outreach related to men’s health issues. This month, we’re teaming up with the Movember Foundation to give back, raise awareness, and help fund over 1,200 awesome initiatives in support of men’s health.
The Movember Foundation
Movember has built a formidable reputation for raising money and awareness on behalf of men’s health. Their stated mission is “Stopping men dying too young,” which they do by funding initiatives to fight prostate cancer, testicular cancer, as well as mental health and suicide prevention.
Movember makes a couple of great recommendations on their site for living happier, healthier, longer lives:
- Make man time. Stay connected. Your friends are important and spending time with them is good for you. Catch up regularly, check in and make time.
- Have open conversations. You don’t need to be an expert and you don’t have to be the sole solution, but being there for someone, listening and giving your time can be life-saving.
- Know the numbers. At 50, talk to your doctor about prostate cancer and whether it’s right for you to have a PSA test. If you are African American or have a father or brother with prostate cancer, you should be having this conversation at 45. Know your numbers, know your risk, talk to your doctor.
- Know thy nuts. Get to know what’s normal for your testicles. Give them a check regularly and go to the doctor if something doesn’t feel right.
- Move, more. Add more activity to your day. Do more of what makes you feel good.
Our Fundraising Efforts
This month, proceeds generated from honing service fees will be going directly to the Movember foundation. This has proven to be an effective and meaningful way for us to donate consistently to causes with immediate need, and we thank you all for making it possible.
We are also hosting an event on November 11th at Portland Shave Shop and will be updating our facebook page with additional details. With the help and exceptional talents of barbers Eric Tolento @et.thebarber and Jeramie Armstrong @oldscoolnewblood, we are donating all proceeds from barbering services on select days to the Movember Foundation. There will be food and drinks, and it would be great to see you (come party with us!). Book your appointment for this special event HERE.
If you don't intend to participate in wither of our initiatives, we encourage you to donate directly to Movember Foundation and help spread the word about this great cause by sharing the event with your friends and family. We thank you for your help and we wish all of you a healthy beginning to the holiday season!