Honing Service - Straight Razors
Honing Service - Straight Razors
→ Portland Razor Co. will donate $10* from each Straight Razor Honing Service sold during the month of October 2017, in support of UNICEF's relief efforts in Puerto Rico. ←
Does your straight razor need some TLC? Come by our shop and have it honed while you wait, or you can send it to us! Read full product description below before purchasing to ensure successful honing.
What can be honed:
- If there is any doubt as to the quality or honability of your straight razor, please email us and include images of the straight razor before purchasing a Honing Service.
- We can sharpen/hone any straight razor in good condition and made by a reputable manufacturer.
What you can expect:
- Your straight razor will be thoroughly inspected for truness, evenness of the grind, and wear & tear. If it has any harmful surface rust, we will oil it and buff out the rust before honing; rust which has caused deep pitting cannot be removed and can negatively affect the straight razor's performance.
- Edges with uneven wear, dings or chips may require some reshaping and we will do our best to remove the minimum amount of material required to restore the edge.
- We will tighten the hinge pin upon request.
Your straight razor will be honed up to a 12K grit Naniwa Superstone and stropped on chromium oxide paste.
Once it passes the Hanging Hair Test, it will be sanitized and given a coating of Ballistol before packing for return shipping.
We do our best to research and match the honing practices of the original manufacturer. If your straight razor was originally honed without tape then we will hone it without tape. However, if there is gold plating etc or if there is no visible hone wear on the spine, we will hone with 1 piece of Super 88 electrical tape.
How to have your straight razor honed at Portland Razor Co.
- Indicate the number of razors you would like serviced, and add them to your shopping cart.
- At checkout, please describe your straight razor in as much detail as possible in the "notes" section. Details such as recent damage, if the pin needs tightening, and the name of the maker or manufacturer are helpful.
- Dry the blade and apply a coat of light oil, close it in the scales, and wrap it in bubble wrap. A zip-lock is also recommended.
- Print your email receipt and enclose it with your razor.
- Mail your razor to:
Portland Razor Co.
3207 SW 1st Ave, STE 204
Portland, OR 97239
- Your razor will be in the shop for up to 14 days. Once honing is complete, you will receive an email confirmation and a tracking number. If you order a honing service with other products, we will ship them all together (we will hold your entire order if one or more items are back ordered).
Return shipping will be paid at checkout: USPS flat rate for domestic orders and international orders. The checkout price does not include shipping for delivery to our shop and is the responsibility of the sender. Local customers also have the option of choosing "Local Pick Up" and can drop off/pick up their straight razors in person. If "Local Pick Up" is selected, please contact us to set an appointment for a drop-off time. This is possible via email or our shop visit form.If a blade cannot be honed to shaving sharp for any reason upon inspection, we will not hone your straight razor and refund the cost of the service less the cost of return shipping.
*Includes sales to Portland Razor Co. retail and web customers, and authorized retailers. No portion of the purchase price is tax deductible. UNICEF does not endorse any brand, company or service.
“Shaved yesterday and today with the Eagle & Cosmo-great shaves.” -Walter
“Thanks for doing such a good job sharpening the blades. Honestly I have finally enjoyed a straight razor shave due to these.” -Brennan
“I appreciate the quick turnaround on the razor I sent you to be honed. Mailed it from Tulsa, OK on Monday, and received it back on Saturday. Some kind of a record, or I hadn't fouled up the blade with my evolving stropping technique as badly as I thought I might have. I appreciate the service and the courtesy that goes with it.” -Bruce
“I received my razor this past Friday in the mail. I shaved with it Saturday and it was awesome! You did a great job of honing! Much appreciated.” -Doug